[home] [news]  [episode guide] [album guide] [collector's corner] [FAQ] [people & places] [brush with velvet] [gallery] [downloads] [store]

The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index
The Partridge Family Bulletin Board
C'mon, Get Happy!

[FAQ] [Search] [Memberlist] [Usergroups] [Register] [Profile] [Log in to check your private messages] [Log in

From Bobby Sherman's autobiography...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amy from Boston
The Newest Partridge!
The Newest Partridge!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey, that's the LAST time I lend you my black evening bag!
JoeySoCal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tattletale! Embarassed Wink
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Spinoff Reply with quote

I personally asked Bobby Sherman about this about 4 years ago. Being the one of the nicest people you can meet, he said he did hear rumblings from the DC camp, but nothing was said to him personally. He also said he got along with fine everyone.

Bobby says nice things about DC in his book. He doesn't denigrate anyone. He's very respectful.

Lu
kenbubblegumkid
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lu,

That's pretty cool. How did you get to speak with Bobby?
Ken
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:44 am    Post subject: Bobby Reply with quote

My friend is a HUGE Bobby Sherman fan, and she is involved in his fan club. She got meet and greet passes before one of his concerts about 4-5 years ago. There weren't a lot of people there, so we got to chat, take pix and she had him sign a bunch of stuff. She brought up the subject, in a light hearted way, having just read his book, and I asked about the DC issue. Bobby didn't go into much detail, but confirmed that what was in his book was true. Like I said, he is such a super nice guy, he had nothing negative to say. Bobby is to my friend what PF is to me. She was beside herself meeting Bobby. It was such a thrill for her, and I got a kick out of it myself!

Lu
Skizzy Fleameyer
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Profits/Royalties Reply with quote

One would suppose that David and the rest of the cast are getting royalties from these DVD's. Do you think they would get a percentage of the sales or just a lump sum for Seasons 1 & 2? Would this also mean that the 1st Chris is getting a royalty check after all these years? But I guess he would have also gotten then from syndication. Is that correct?
Lu groovychick1970
Shirley's Assistant
Shirley's Assistant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hooray! Now, go into your purse and take out all the green pieces of paper and send them to me.

Didn't Soupy Sales get in trouble for that? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Drawer L
Tracy's Sitter
Tracy's Sitter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Profits/Royalties Reply with quote

Skizzy Fleameyer wrote:
One would suppose that David and the rest of the cast are getting royalties from these DVD's. Do you think they would get a percentage of the sales or just a lump sum for Seasons 1 & 2? Would this also mean that the 1st Chris is getting a royalty check after all these years? But I guess he would have also gotten then from syndication. Is that correct?
Not likely.Back then nobody thought of residuals.They would get paid only the first few times a show was aired,each time getting less.
Later on,it was one of the demands during a Actor's Union strike.Nowdays most actors get steady residuals,but usually only the ones after the strike.
If anybody knows different,I'd like to know.Always wondered if David & Shirley still get any royalties from the CDs...
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're getting a bit off topic from Bobby Sherman's autobiography, but . . .

David and Shirley are both supposed to get royalties from the CD sales. As for DVD sales (and previous VHS releases), I believe all cast members SHOULD be getting royalties, but I doubt very much if any are. There seems to be a descrepency as to whether their original contracts stipulated any "future technologies" clause in the writing. Shirley told me (and Suzanne and Brian) that there was NO clause in their contracts so that they should all be getting royalties. But, being owed them and actually collecting on them are two different issues. Confused

As for the syndication, no cast member is due any royalties. Back in the 70s, there was a "7 cycle" clause -- meaning they were paid a royalty for the first seven cycles of reruns. After that, thier profit participation ended.

Also, the contracts ran out as far as using their likenesses on any new product. That's why anything new for sale has only shown the bus or animated bird family. If Sony wanted to create new product using the cast's likenesses, they'd have to strike up a new deal, as they have done with Barbra Eden and the estate of Elizabeth Montgomery. Of course, that doesn't count promotional items created to sell the original series or music. And obviously they signed away any rights to the LP art, so if a new CD is released showing old LP art, nobody is owed anything for that either.
PJ
Mayor of San Pueblo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]There seems to be a descrepency as to whether their original contracts stipulated any "future technologies" clause in the writing.[quote]

The "future technologies" language was pretty common in contracts even in 1970. For example, DC's recording contract had a "future technologies" clause to protect the label's rights. But perhaps the recording industry was knew that technological changes were inevitable, whereas television...it might have been a little more hard to fathom that VCRs etc. were on the horizon, much less that anyone would be interested in purchasing these shows for home use in 2006.
Scott
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was common. In fact, it was even in some contracts from the 60s. [Jonathan Harris ("Lost in Space") was a good friend of mine. His contract had a "future technologies" clause in it but for some reason in didn't include foreign releases. So he was constantly getting royalty checks from places like Australia whenever Lost in Space was released. He even got checks from the Coumbia House tapes.] But according to Shirley, it's not present in her contract. Still, I don't think any of them have been sent any kind of check -- not even for the video tapes that were released years and years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Partridge Family Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Talk About The Show! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: